Technology For Society

Focus on technology trends that create an impact on larger part of Society.

Firefox indic localization session at Barcamp7

Barcampbangalore7, is scheduled for 13,14 September 2008. This is going to be my third barcamp. As is the norm in technology, by the third attempt, any product becomes successful or looses the race. So is any initiative. I thought I should start real contributions to the Barcamp.

I have been working on Firefox Telugu localization for over 9 months and went through a lot of learnings about contributing to the open source world, be it setting up wiki pages for project, creating email-lists or tracking fellow contributors and chasing the coordinators to increase the prirority for our initiative. The Telugu version of Firefox was to have released with Firefox 2.13, but is now likely to be available with firefox 3.0.2 beta . As several other Indian languages are also planned for release, I proposed a session in the upcoming barcamp on this topic.

I propose to cover the following

  • Brief history of Firefox, Features of firefox,
  • Localization tips
  • Other initiatives to strengthen Indic localization.


I welcome other contributors to join me for this session.
Firefox 3

2 comments:

Unknown September 10, 2008 at 7:50:00 AM PDT  

Hi Arjuna,

Please let me know how the Barcamp Bangalore goes. And, congratulations on finishing Telugu localization for Firefox. Quite an accomplishment!

If you continue to do presentations and events, please let me know how Mozilla can help. Perhaps we can send you some t-shirts or other marketing materials.

Please be well!

-sethb
sethb at mozilla dot com
http://blog.mozilla.com/seth

Arjun September 11, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM PDT  

Hi Seth,

I thought about requesting for the same. Then I saw on barcamp mailing list that mozilla is supporting this event and then thought I did not need to request for any additional material

BTW, Krishna is the main person for localization and most credit will go to him. I met Axel and several other firefox staff during the last year FOSS.IN.

Hope we will get an opportunity to meet face to face.

Best regards
Arjun

Popular Posts

Translate

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

About this blog:

Thoughts on making technology work for everyone

Copyright

Creative Commons License
Technology For Society- Blog by Arjuna Rao Chavala is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.